Saturday, October 12, 2013

Coming Out Day

Remember when you had to come out to your parents and tell them you were a graphic designer? I had to sit my parents down and tell them about my Graphic Designess –

Me: Mom… Dad… I hope you still love me. I’m just going to say it… Mom, Dad… I’m a graphic designer.

Mom: What? What did he just say?

Dad: Oh, Lord… He didn’t just say he was a graphic designer!

Me: Mom, I mean it… I’m a graphic designer.

Mom: Oh, Lord, Jesus Christ! No! Oh lord, anything but a graphic designer! Give him cancer lord! Anything but graphic design, Lord!

Me: Yea, Mom… I’m a graphic designer… This is just how it is.

Dad: No! You know what it is… you’ve been hanging around graphic designers too much. And they’ve been making you think you’re a graphic designer, too! They twisted your mind!

Me: No, Mom and Dad… that’s just how it is.

Mom: What did I do? What did I do? I knew I shouldn’t have let you go to the museum. I knew I shouldn’t have let you have those art supplies!

Me: No, Mom… it wasn’t the museums or art supplies. This is just who I am, I’m a graphic designer.

Dad: You weren’t born a Graphic Designer; I don’t want to hear that! Uh-uh, you weren’t born a graphic designer… bible says render onto God that’s God’s, not render under Milton Glazer!

 

Special thanks to Wanda Sykes for her inspiration. Remember to embrace and love yourself, no matter who you are and who or what you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment